27 September 2011

A Difficult Choice

This week, I must choose between working at Lycée Michelet and studying at Paris Diderot. It will be a difficult choice, because it forces me to choose between an immediate, temporary job and a future potential job.

The schedule coordinator at Lycée Michelet has refused to meet any of my schedule requests, making it impossible for me to go to my classes. Paris Diderot makes exceptions for those students who need to work to do so, but there is nothing they can do if I'm only able to attend 15% of my classes. Michelet will look into what they can do for me, but the attitude of the coordinator makes me certain that he is unlikely to change my schedule, despite the fact that there are 9 people teaching English at this high school and consequently enough flexibility to give me more agreeable hours. I'm discovering the beautify of French education right now!

It's a difficult choice to make. If I drop out of school, I risk not being accepted again (it will look back to the selection jury that I dropped out the last time they accepted my application); if I keep going to school, I will have no salary.

2 comments: